Let's talk: editor@tmv.in
Trump Admin Plans To Admit 17,500 White South African Refugees Amid Discrimination Claims

Trump Admin Plans To Admit 17,500 White South African Refugees Amid Discrimination Claims

Yekkirala Akshitha
May 20, 2026

The administration of Donald Trump plans to admit up to 17,500 white South African refugees into the United States this fiscal year, sharply expanding a controversial programme centred on Afrikaners and intensifying already strained ties between Washington and Pretoria.

The US State Department informed Congress that the refugee ceiling would rise from the previously announced 7,500 admissions to 17,500, citing what it described as an “emergency refugee situation” in South Africa. The administration argued that recent political developments and growing hostility toward Afrikaners justified the expansion.

Afrikaners are white South Africans mainly descended from Dutch settlers. The Trump administration claims they face systematic discrimination, violent attacks and race-based land policies , particularly affecting farming communities. Trump has repeatedly alleged that a “white genocide” is taking place in South Africa, claims strongly rejected by the South African government and independent experts.

The State Department also cited a December incident in which South African authorities allegedly raided a US refugee processing centre , along with public criticism of the refugee programme by South African officials. Washington said these developments heightened risks for Afrikaners already facing what it called “government-sponsored race-based discrimination.”

According to State Department figures, nearly 4,500 South Africans have already entered the US under the programme since October, while only three refugees from other countries were admitted during the same period. Reports said the administration had received more than 8,000 inquiries from South Africans seeking relocation.

The refugee dispute has deepened US-South Africa tensions, with Trump accusing Pretoria of ignoring attacks on white farmers, while President Cyril Ramaphosa and experts deny claims of systematic racial persecution.

Critics, including refugee advocacy groups and Democratic lawmakers, have accused the Trump administration of prioritising white South Africans while severely restricting admissions for refugees fleeing wars in countries such as Sudan, Afghanistan and Syria. Some admitted Afrikaners have reportedly already returned to South Africa, raising further questions about whether the situation meets international refugee standards .

Trump Admin Plans To Admit 17,500 White South African Refugees Amid Discrimination Claims - The Morning Voice