Let's talk: editor@tmv.in

Bold! Concerned! Unfiltered! Responsible!

Sudhir Pidugu
Sudhir Pidugu
Founder & Editorial Director
editor@tmv.in
Successful surgery removes tool left inside woman in Alappuzha case

Successful surgery removes tool left inside woman in Alappuzha case

Yekkirala Akshitha
February 21, 2026

A woman from Punnapra underwent successful surgery to remove a surgical tool left inside her abdomen for five years , triggering police action, suspension of doctors, and a high-level probe into alleged medical negligence at Alappuzha Government Medical College.

Usha Joseph was shifted to a private hospital in Kochi, where a multidisciplinary team of specialists successfully removed the artery forceps on Saturday. Doctors said her condition is stable , and she is under close medical observation. Senior doctors deputed by the Kerala government from Kottayam and Thiruvananthapuram medical colleges were present during the procedure.

Taking serious note of the incident , the Medical Education Department suspended Dr Shahida J, who performed the surgery in May 2021, and scrub nurse P S Dhanya following a preliminary inquiry. Dr Shahida, currently serving as an associate professor in the gynaecology department at Thiruvananthapuram Medical College, was suspended pending a detailed investigation.

Joseph’s son Shibin said his mother had been suffering from persistent abdominal pain for five years after undergoing surgery for uterine fibroid removal at Alappuzha Medical College. Despite repeated visits to the same hospital, the cause remained undiagnosed. Recently, suspecting kidney stones, she consulted another doctor who advised an X-ray, which revealed the presence of an artery forceps inside her abdomen .

Ambalapuzha police have registered a criminal case against retired surgeon Dr Lalithambika, who was the unit head at the time of the surgery, under sections related to medical negligence and endangering life . Police said more accused could be added as the investigation progresses.

Dr Lalithambika denied performing the surgery, stating that it took place shortly before her retirement during the COVID-19 period. She said the instrument appeared to be a small mosquito forceps and attributed the lapse to systemic failure in government hospitals , an allegation strongly rejected by Health Minister Veena George.

Calling the incident deeply distressing and unacceptable , George announced the formation of a four-member expert committee to conduct a comprehensive inquiry. She said strict legal action will be taken without leniency , and the final report will be forwarded to the police for prosecution.

Successful surgery removes tool left inside woman in Alappuzha case - The Morning Voice