
Rajya Sabha MP Receives Death Threat On WhatsApp, FIR Registered In Agra
Police have registered a case after a death threat was allegedly issued through WhatsApp to Ramji Lal Suman, with officials confirming that an investigation has been launched against an unidentified person.
According to police, the FIR has been lodged at Hariparvat police station in Agra under relevant provisions of the Bharatiya Nyaya Sanhita (BNS) . Authorities said the case is currently under active investigation, and efforts are being made to trace the origin of the threatening communication.
The MP alleged that he received a WhatsApp call on March 5, 2026 , followed by abusive and threatening messages from the same number. He further claimed that this was not an isolated incident, stating that he had earlier also received threats through social media platforms.
Suman said he had approached the Uttar Pradesh Director General of Police on March 8 with a formal complaint, but alleged that police action was delayed, with the FIR being registered nearly two-and-a-half months later. He termed the delay as a reflection of administrative insensitivity.
He also referred to an earlier incident in 2025, in which his residence was allegedly attacked, claiming that law enforcement response in that case was also inadequate.
Police sources said investigators are examining the mobile number, WhatsApp account details, and digital footprint associated with the threat messages. Technical analysis is underway to identify whether the communication was made using a regular SIM card, virtual number, or internet-based service.
Officials added that the motive behind the threat has not yet been established. Preliminary assessment suggests that it could range from personal enmity, political hostility, or targeted intimidation , while the possibility of random online harassment or misuse of anonymous digital platforms is also being considered.
Investigators are also not ruling out the use of spoofed or untraceable digital identities , which are often employed to avoid detection in cyber-related threats.
Police have assured that further action will be taken once technical evidence and digital forensics reports provide clarity on the source and intent of the threat.
