Let's talk: editor@tmv.in
Kalyana Lakshmi, Shaadi Mubarak Schemes Will Continue, Says Ponnam Prabhakar

Kalyana Lakshmi, Shaadi Mubarak Schemes Will Continue, Says Ponnam Prabhakar

Pinjari Chand
August 18, 2026

Telangana Minister Ponnam Prabhakar has reaffirmed that the state government will continue the Kalyana Lakshmi and Shaadi Mubarak welfare schemes despite an interim stay imposed by the High Court. He said the government would pursue all available legal options to defend the programmes and made it clear that there was no proposal to discontinue schemes aimed at supporting poor families.

The minister said the High Court, on August 12, granted an interim stay until September 9 in a case challenging eight government orders related to Kalyana Lakshmi. The petition, W.P. No. 21732/2026, has questioned the validity of the orders. Prabhakar said the government respected the court's directions and had already filed a detailed counter affidavit explaining the legal and constitutional basis of the schemes. The government is also expected to approach a division bench seeking relief against the interim order.

Prabhakar attributed any shortcomings in the schemes to deficiencies in orders issued by the previous government in 2014. He said an inquiry was underway to determine whether officials had failed in handling the legal proceedings or monitoring the matter and assured that action would be taken against those found responsible.

Defending the welfare programmes, the minister said they were intended to reduce the financial burden on poor families during the marriage of their daughters. Launched in 2014, the schemes were later expanded to cover BC and EBC communities. Government figures submitted to the court show that more than ₹16,375.87 crore has been spent since their inception, benefiting 16.78 lakh people across SC, ST, BC, EBC and minority communities.

He said the schemes are being implemented under the state's executive powers under Article 162 of the Constitution, with funds approved through the state Budget and released under applicable financial regulations. Beneficiary verification covers income, age, Aadhaar and marriage details, with the bride required to be at least 18 years old. Eligibility is verified at the RDO and MRO levels.

On CAG observations, Prabhakar said the government was examining the report's objections and recommendations, stressing that they did not constitute a final judicial finding that the schemes were illegal. He said the programmes support social justice and help economically vulnerable families avoid debt.

Meanwhile, Prabhakar assured auto-rickshaw workers that the government would soon establish a welfare board for their sector. Their demand for higher fares will be examined in view of rising fuel and maintenance costs, while also considering the impact on passengers.

Rejecting reports that TGSRTC would purchase and operate electric autos, he said the government had no intention of affecting auto drivers' livelihoods. Instead, it plans to strengthen last-mile connectivity by integrating RTC, railway and metro services. The Cabinet has approved financial assistance of up to ₹1.50 lakh per auto to retrofit existing petrol and diesel autos into electric vehicles, he added.

Kalyana Lakshmi, Shaadi Mubarak Schemes Will Continue, Says Ponnam Prabhakar - The Morning Voice