Let's talk: editor@tmv.in
Indonesia Earthquake: 55 Dead As Thousands Await Aid On Independence Day

Indonesia Earthquake: 55 Dead As Thousands Await Aid On Independence Day

Yekkirala Akshitha
August 18, 2026

At least 55 people have died and more than 130 were injured after a powerful magnitude 7.7 earthquake struck Indonesia’s East Nusa Tenggara province, leaving thousands without proper shelter or basic supplies as the country celebrated its 81st Independence Day on Monday.

The quake hit shortly before 6 am on Saturday at a depth of about 10 kilometres. It triggered landslides and damaged roads across Flores. A tsunami warning was issued after the quake but was later lifted. Some reports said waves of up to about 1.5 metres were recorded before the warning ended.

Around 5,000 people have been forced into temporary shelters. More than 1,300 homes were damaged, including nearly 250 destroyed on Flores. Schools, health centres and other public buildings were also damaged.

The biggest problem now is reaching isolated villages. Landslides, damaged roads, power cuts and poor communication have slowed rescue and aid work. Some survivors are still sleeping outside under tarpaulins because they fear more tremors.

Nearly 1,600 aftershocks had been recorded in the region by Monday, with a 5.6 magnitude quake also reported that morning, according to Reuters.

Residents said they urgently need food, clean water, medicines and tents. Some people have reported health problems after spending nights outdoors. Reuters reported cases of asthma and diarrhoea among survivors in temporary camps.

More than 3,500 military and police personnel have been sent to the disaster zone, while hundreds of tonnes of aid have been prepared. Helicopters, planes and other vehicles are being used to reach areas cut off by the quake. Emergency field hospitals are also being planned, with specialist doctors needed to treat head injuries and broken bones.

One of the most difficult rescue efforts was on Palue Island, where teams found one person dead, two seriously injured and nearly 150 homes destroyed.

In Jakarta, President Prabowo Subianto asked people to pray for those affected by the disaster during Independence Day celebrations. A moment of silence was also held.

For Flores residents, the quake has revived memories of the 1992 earthquake and tsunami, which killed about 2,500 people. Indonesia remains highly exposed to earthquakes because it lies on the Pacific Ring of Fire.

Indonesia Earthquake: 55 Dead As Thousands Await Aid On Independence Day - The Morning Voice