
From Palace to Police: Prince Andrew arrested on his 66th birthday
In a dramatic royal turn, Andrew Mountbatten‑Windsor , the younger brother of King Charles III , was arrested by Thames Valley Police on Thursday on suspicion of misconduct in public office. The former prince, stripped of his royal titles last year due to his links with convicted sex offender Jeffrey Epstein , was taken into custody on his 66th birthday , marking a historic first for a senior member of the British royal family. Police confirmed coordinated searches at his properties in Norfolk and Berkshire , with eyewitnesses reporting around six unmarked police vehicles and eight plain-clothes officers at his Sandringham Estate residence during the arrest operation.
The arrest follows revelations from millions of pages of documents released by the US Department of Justice , detailing Epstein’s network and interactions with prominent figures. Andrew’s name appears repeatedly in the files, after Epstein’s house arrest in the US, Andrew reportedly invited him to Buckingham Palace , a decision that fueled public outrage over the ex‑prince’s ties to the convicted sex offender. Among the most widely discussed items is a photograph reportedly showing Mountbatten‑Windsor with Virginia Giuffre , an Epstein accuser who alleged she was trafficked and sexually abused as a minor. Correspondence from Ghislaine Maxwell has confirmed the authenticity of some of these materials. Giuffre, who died in 2025, had claimed Mountbatten‑Windsor abused her multiple times, allegations he has consistently denied and previously settled civilly without admitting liability.
King Charles III said that “the law must take its course” in the investigation, emphasizing that justice should proceed impartially. British prime minister Keir Starmer told the BBC that “nobody is above the law” and urged anyone with relevant information, particularly about violence against women and girls, to come forward. Buckingham Palace issued a statement saying Andrew will be defending himself like a private citizen and confirmed the royal household “stands ready” to support police investigations while expressing the King’s profound concern over the continuing allegations. The offices of Prince William and Catherine, Princess of Wales , also expressed deep concern and said their thoughts remain with victims.
Mountbatten‑Windsor remains in police custody as investigations continue, with Thames Valley Police cautioning that reporting must be careful to avoid contempt of court.
